STATEMENT OF PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
In this Statement of Privacy Principles, Baylis Medical Company Inc. (“Baylis”, “we”, “our”, “us”) describes how we processes personal information. The preservation of, and respect for, our customers', business colleagues, vendors', and patients' trust is critical to our continued success. We will always process personal information:
- Confidentially and fairly
- Appropriately, according to the statements we make
- Lawfully, in accordance with applicable data protection laws, directives, regulations and principles
This Statement of Privacy Principles tells you how we protect and use information that we gather through www.baylismedical.com, the Baylis website for Canada (the “Website”). Please note that Baylis and our affiliates also operate other websites. This Statement of Privacy Principles only applies to this Website and does not apply to other Baylis websites. You should review the Statement of Privacy Principles posted on other Baylis websites when you visit them. This Website and this Statement of Privacy Principles are intended for a Canadian audience.
This Statement of Privacy Principles was last revised on October 1, 2018. We may change this Statement of Privacy Principles at any time and for any reason. The current Statement of Privacy Principles will always be posted on this webpage. Significant changes to this Statement of Privacy Principles are discussed below. We encourage you to review this Statement of Privacy Principles each time you visit this Website.
By using this Website, you agree to the terms of the most recent version of this Statement of Privacy Principles. Please read our Website Terms and Conditions to understand the general rules about your use of this website. Except as written in any other disclaimers, policies, terms and conditions, or other notices on this website, this Statement of Privacy Principles and the Website Terms and Conditions are the complete agreement between you and Baylis with respect to your use of this Website. You may be subject to additional terms that may apply when you access particular services or materials on certain areas in this Website, or by following a link from this Website.
WHEN DO THESE PRIVACY PRINCIPLES APPLY?
This Statement of Privacy Principles applies when we process personal information collected in Canada. This Statement of Privacy Principles applies to personal data when we collect it directly from the data subject (the person who the data identifies), and also when we collect data from one person, company, or other legal entity that identifies another person. Therefore, when we use the word "you", "me", and "I" in this Statement of Privacy Principles, we mean the individual whose personal information we are processing, whether we collect that information directly from the individual or indirectly from someone else.
This Statement of Privacy Principles does not apply when we process information:
- about our employees and business consultants in the scope of their employment or business consultancy relationship with us
- where we have given other disclaimers, policies, terms and conditions, or other notices indicating that this policy does not apply, or that a different policy or notice applies instead
- that does not identify you as an individual person, including personal information which has been anonymized so that it can no longer be used to identify you
- only as a processor of information on behalf of a third party where that processing is governed by separate terms
WHAT IS DATA PROCESSING?
Data processing is any operation or set of operations involving personal information, whether or not by automatic means. This includes collecting, using, disclosing, adapting, altering, correcting, retrieving, combining, blocking, erasing, transferring, destroying, recording, organizing, storing, disseminating, or otherwise making available, consulting, and using personal information.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is information relating to you that we can use to specifically identify you, such as your:
- telephone number
- e-mail address
- date of birth
- social insurance number or other national identifier
- account number
- any other information that identifies or could identify you and relates to you
WHEN AND HOW DOES BAYLIS COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- 1. Forms – In some places on our Website you have the opportunity to send us personal information about yourself. For example, you may fill out a registration form, a survey or an e-mail form.
- 2. Cookies – You may also choose to allow us to personalize your visits to the web sites, in which case we will ask you for certain personal information to make your visits to our web sites more helpful to you. When this information is combined with the non-personal information that we collect through cookies, we will be able to tell that you have visited our web sites before.
- 3. Inquiries – We may collect personal information from you when you contact us for information, products, or services.
- 4. Commercial Transactions – We may collect personal information about you in the course of engaging in commercial transactions with our customers, vendors, and other business contacts.
WHY DOES BAYLIS PROCESS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may process your personal information:
- to respond to your requests and enquiries
- to perform a contract or for contract negotiations with or about you
- to develop records, including records of your personal information
- to contact you by mail (or in other ways with your permission) with information that might be of interest to you, including information about clinical trials and about products and services of ours and of others
- for analytical purposes and to research, develop and improve programs, products, therapies, services and content
- to remove your personal identifiers (your name, e-mail address, social security number, etc) so that information is anonymized. In this case, you would no longer be identified as a single unique individual. Once we have anonymized information, it is non-personal information and is not subject to this Statement of Privacy Principles
- to personalize your access to our Website, for example, by telling you about new features that may be of interest to you
- to enforce this Statement of Privacy Principles and otherwise protect our rights or property
- to protect your vital interests or someone else's health, safety or welfare
- to comply with a law or regulation, court order, or other legal obligation
- for our other legitimate interests, unless such processing will unfairly prejudice your rights or freedoms
- in other ways to which you consent
WILL BAYLIS EVER USE PERSONAL INFORMATION TO CONTACT ME WITH MARKETING OR EDUCATIONAL MESSAGES?
We may contact you periodically in person, by e-mail, by fax, by mail, or by telephone to provide information regarding programs, products, services and content that may be of interest to you, unless you advise us that you do not wish to receive marketing, market research communications, or educational materials from us. If applicable law requires that we receive your explicit consent before we send you certain types of marketing communications, we will only send you those types of communications after receiving your explicit consent.
WHAT IF I NO LONGER WISH TO RECEIVE INFORMATION FROM BAYLIS, OR NO LONGER WISH TO ALLOW BAYLIS TO PROCESS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If you wish to stop receiving communications from us, or would like us to stop processing your personal information in any other way, you can contact us as described at the bottom of this Statement of Privacy Principles to let us know what types of communications you wish to stop receiving. In addition, if you have received, or in the future receive, an e-mail from us, each e-mail we send includes an easy, automated way for you to cease receiving e-mails from us.
DOES BAYLIS EVER SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
Baylis will not share your personal information with an unrelated third party without your permission, except as otherwise provided in this Statement of Privacy Principles.
In the ordinary course of business, we will share some personal information with companies that we hire to perform services or functions on our behalf. For example, we may use different vendors or suppliers to ship our products. In these cases, we provide the vendor or supplier with information to process your order such as your name and mailing address. In all cases in which we share your personal information with a third party, we will not authorize them to keep, disclose or use your information with others except for the purpose of providing the services we asked them to provide.
We will not sell, exchange or publish your personal information, except in conjunction with a corporate sale, merger, dissolution, or acquisition.
We may be legally compelled to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We may cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and/or prosecuting web site visitors who violate our rules or engage in behavior which is harmful to other visitors (or illegal).
We may additionally disclose your personal information to third parties if we feel that the disclosure is necessary to:
- enforce this Statement of Privacy Principles
- protect our rights or property
- protect someone's health, safety or welfare
WILL BAYLIS EVER TRANSFER PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT ME TO COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE COUNTRY WHERE I AM LOCATED?
Baylis may transfer information out of the country in which it was collected to any other country that is recognized by Canada as having adequate privacy protections. We will transfer information to other areas only if:
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and Baylis or for pre-contractual measures taken in response to your request; or
- if you consent to the transfer; or
- if the data will be adequately protected in the other country, by contract or other protection
Baylis has arrangements with all of its offices and affiliates that assure that personal information transferred among Baylis companies is adequately protected, including transfers of personal information to Baylis offices and affiliates in the United States of America.
WHAT HAPPENS IF THIS STATEMENT OF PRIVACY PRINCIPLES CHANGES?
If we decide to make a significant change to this Statement of Privacy Principles, we will describe any major changes in this section. You can always find the most current copy of this Statement of Privacy Principles on the website for your country, or contact us at the address below.
WHAT ABOUT THE SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We also restrict access to your personal information to those employees and contractors who need to know that information to do their jobs. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error-free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
HOW LONG WILL BAYLIS MAINTAIN MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will not keep information for any longer than is required. In many cases, personal information must be kept for considerable periods of time in order to make it available as and when questions or disputes arise. Retention periods will be determined taking into account the type of personal information that is collected and the purpose for which it is collected, bearing in mind the requirements applicable to the situation and the need to destroy outdated, unused information at the earliest reasonable opportunity.
We will continue to treat your personal information in accordance with this Statement of Privacy Principles so long as we retain it.
ARE THERE ANY ADDITIONAL PRIVACY PRINCIPLES RELATING TO BAYLIS WEB SITES?